Where Everybody Knows Your Name
If given the choice, I'll always choose a local, family-owned restaurant rather than a chain like Olive Garden or On The Border. Some of my favorite ones in Dallas include Mia's, Celebration, Lover's Pizza, Campisi's, Patrizio, Marshall's BBQ, Thai-riffic, or Paciugo. I heard that Dallas has more restaurants per capita than any other place, so there are plenty of opportunities to break out of the mold.
This weekend, I was really excited to try two new local restaurants: Nuevo Leon and Tupinamba. We also capped off our weekend with a trip to another Dallas favorite, Pokey-O's (disclaimer here, Pokey-O's has raised their prices for the awesome ice cream sandwiches to $3 each. Bummer. ) The new restaurants were both pretty tasty.
We went to Nuevo Leon on Saturday night, which was more mex-mex cuisine. The salsa was warm to the temperature and hot to the taste buds. The service was great and I really enjoyed the "exquisite chimiluigi sauce" which was whipped guacamole and sour cream. Steve's tamale's were awesome, but the queso on Mollie's enchilada needed some more flavor.
Today I went to Tupinamba with several of the girls from my days in the big house. Tupinamba was pretty standard tex-mex food. My combo #8 was a tasty plate drenched in sauces of various origin. The outstanding aspect of Tupinamba is that they set out a little ramekin for each person, along with little pitchers of salsa. Brilliant.
So that's my review of some local Dallas dining establishments. I'd love to hear some of your favorite local diners wherever you live...
This weekend, I was really excited to try two new local restaurants: Nuevo Leon and Tupinamba. We also capped off our weekend with a trip to another Dallas favorite, Pokey-O's (disclaimer here, Pokey-O's has raised their prices for the awesome ice cream sandwiches to $3 each. Bummer. ) The new restaurants were both pretty tasty.We went to Nuevo Leon on Saturday night, which was more mex-mex cuisine. The salsa was warm to the temperature and hot to the taste buds. The service was great and I really enjoyed the "exquisite chimiluigi sauce" which was whipped guacamole and sour cream. Steve's tamale's were awesome, but the queso on Mollie's enchilada needed some more flavor.
Today I went to Tupinamba with several of the girls from my days in the big house. Tupinamba was pretty standard tex-mex food. My combo #8 was a tasty plate drenched in sauces of various origin. The outstanding aspect of Tupinamba is that they set out a little ramekin for each person, along with little pitchers of salsa. Brilliant.
So that's my review of some local Dallas dining establishments. I'd love to hear some of your favorite local diners wherever you live...

9 Comments:
We are still testing out the local establishments in Galveston. There is one Italian restaurant called Papa's that has good pizza and other Italian takeout. Yummy! There is also seafood galore, but I have only been able to try a few. Sadly, I wasn't a very big fan of Gaido's, which is a favorite of many. There is a pretty yummy Mexican food place called The Original Mexican Inn and a good hamburger place called The Spot. I think I like buying fresh shrimp straight from the boat and making it at home the best though!
ooh, I love good food talk... I haven't tried the Beau Jo's but it sounds great!
Today at lunch, I tried the #5 at a drive-in place called Keller's. It was very sketchy and very good. In fact, it made the "top 20 burgers to eat before you die" list according to GQ. http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_2526
I'm going to vote for Ralph's pizza in Carrollton, at the corner of Frankford and Kelly Blvd. Show-stopping NY style slices of pizza pie. YUMMY. We eat there at least 2-3 times a month.
Did you go to the Nuevo Leon by your house? We go there all the time after school! I bet any time the doors are open (uh, after school), there is a group of Field M.S. teachers eating at Nuevo Leon. I like the quesadillas...
As far as local places, my favorite local coffee shop here is in Addison: Dunn Brothers Coffee Co. yum!
Kerrville has a great mexican restaurant. It's now a small chain, but it began in KerrVegas. It's called "Mamacita's" and my family has been going there every Sunday after church for the past 18 years... no joke...
Ok, my mouth is watering after all the talk of Mexican food.....savor all your amazing choices because Mexican food here stinks!!! There is a decent place called Cactus Cantina and another called Austin Grill, but neither are that good... I'm a big fan of Moe's for Mexican fast food.
i second lover's pizza, but there's a place just up garland road from casa linda plaza called sali's that i think i like even better. it was a favorite hang out for matt and i when we lived over there. we also have a big affinity for flying fish. there's one in preston center and one out here by us at firewheel. awesome fried catfish and lots of other yummy stuff including healthy grilled fish and veggies.
For all those passing through Brownwood, TX (I go there regularly b/c of my job!) be sure to stop by The Turtle on Commerce St.
I can't believe a restaurant like this is in a little town like that! The owners are local but they convinced a chef to move from NYC and run the restaurant (now there's a change of scenery!).
I'm not a salad guy but my favorite part of the meal is their mixed green salad. I don't know what kind dressing he uses - but it's dang good when you add the carmelized pecans!
The menu has a little bit of everything but it changes from day to day. He only cooks what he can buy fresh - which is probably why the food is so good!
Great topic, Katie!
W
As Laura has already said, Field teachers go to Nuevo Leon all of the time. Unfortunately, I'm a wimp and can't handle the spice of Mexican food. Michael and I really like a place off of Beltline called Andiamo's. It's Italian. It's candle-lit. You can't take a sip of your drink w/o an immediate refill. It is priced a little above Olive Garden, but their chicken parmesian is to die for. Guys - this could be a great first date spot!
If you are ever near The Woodlands, my uncle owns a pizza and subs resturant called, Greek Tony's Pizza. It is so good!!! Yummy thick crust and all fresh toppings. YUM! I grew up eating it so I thought all pizza tasted like that. I was slightly disappointed when I had to eat Pizza Hut, Dominos, etc.
Post a Comment
<< Home