A Plane in the Air is Worth Two on the Ground: See you in 2014!
Today was a big day for Southwest Airlines! Along with American Airlines, DFW airport, and the cities of Dallas and Ft. Worth, an agreement was made to start the repeal of the Wright Amendment! Hallelujah!The details of the compromise were very interesting. The good news is that once Congress passes it, Southwest can immediately begin selling tickets to cities beyond the Wright restrictions. So you'll instantly be able to purchase a ticket from LA or Vegas or Baltimore to Dallas. The not so good news is that for eight years, you'll still have to make a stop. You don't necessarily have to change planes or even get off the plane, but you do have to stop. So in 2014 I'm sure we'll be excited to announce nonstop service from Love Field to Orlando or Nashville or San Diego. But for now, I'll settle for being able to buy one ticket instead of two. There are a bunch of other details in the compromise too--a reduction in total gates at Love Field from 32 to 20. Complete prohibition of international flights and other provisions that take effect if either of the parties make changes to the deal.
It's not the perfect package, but it's as Gary said "we're trading uncertainty for certainty." And he's way smarter than I am, so if he's happy, and Herb's happy, then 2014 here we come!

7 Comments:
I thought of you today when I heard that on the radio! I'm glad you posted about it. Have a great weekend!
Girl! this is SO exciting! I know it's not perfect, but put a "W" in SWA's column!
I am so glad you posted on this so I could get an educated opinion on it.
Yay! That's awesome. Congrats Katie. I knew my signature on that petition was really going somewhere:)
And maybe by 2014, SW will be going international on us.
It could happen.
Finally, some progress for good old SWA!!! I hope all you SWAers are happy with the outcome....I just long for the day when we can fly nonstop from BWI to Dallas!
Sweet!! Now if you can work on service into Atlanta that would be great!! I LUV SWA!!
Post a Comment
<< Home