Monday, July 03, 2006

First Day Down

We rolled out this morning after packing our ice chests, loading the trailer with tools, and picking our our muck boots. We arrived at the home of Mr. Jerome Cooper, a sweet 78-year old man who's lived in New Orleans for most of his life, except when he was fighting in the war. His house only had about 18 inches of water due to the storm, and he has been living back in his house since October. He lost his wife in November, has poor vision, and a heart condition, so he was really glad we were there.

They told us that this situation was different, because it was inhabitable and wasn't covered in mud. So our task was to pull the carpet up, get the drywall and insulation out, and to help make his house a home again. It rained for most of the morning, which was nice because it gave us a cool breeze, but also kept things VERY humid. We arrived back at the camp exhausted, dirty, and hungry around 5p.

The camp is actually an elementary school that the parish has allowed Hilltop to use. The water from Katrina flooded the first floor, so it is just metal beams now, but the second floor was untouched. They've got a great set up--showers and laundry on the first floors, cots and a meeting room on the second floor. Each morning, you have to pack your laundry basket with your towel, shower stuff, and clothes for tomorrow night and leave it on the second floor. Then, when we come back in, we go straight to the showers--without going to the second floor at all. This has amazingly kept the mold out of the second floor. It's a great set-up, all volunteer run, and very well organized. This week there are about 110 of us, mostly from Ohio and Tennessee, with a little bit of Boston and Washington state thrown in.

It's amazing to see the pictures of the flooding here in St. Bernard Parish. Most houses had 14 feet of water, which rose in 20 minutes! They were completely wiped out, and it's eerie to drive the streets and have all the businesses clothes. There is one Walgreen's nearby that's open, but other than that, everything is completely closed down.

Thanks for your thoughts & prayers--oh, and have a happy fourth of July.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

God is blessing someone so greatly through your works. Be safe and I'll be in prayer.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading your posts with tears in my eyes. Jeff and I were living in Baton Rouge last year during the storms and I have seen many of the things you are seeing now and it makes me sad all over again to read about it. I had several co-workers whose families lost everything. I had the opportunity to drive to New Orleans with one of them back in April and I was totally amazed. It's just like you say - so many months later and the destruction and filth is everywhere. I know your work is so needed. Thanks for sharing your stories.
Lisa

9:02 AM  
Blogger Tim Perkins said...

Just want you to know how wonderful I think this project and your participation in it is.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home