Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pictures from New Orleans

Well folks, we've had a good week of hot, rainy, mucky, moldy, sweaty work! We're exhausted, but encouraged. I know I'll have more reflections to share when we get back, but here are just a few pictures from our trip:

Here we are in Jackson Square on Sunday. We're about to have cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde! Yum!














After we toured the French Quarter, we drove through the Ninth Ward on our way back to the school.














Here are the girls working hard at Jerome's house in New Orleans.
















Before














After--yep, it's the same shot--sorry I couldn't turn it the right way.














We would come into a house, remove all the belongings, peel off the trim, baseboards, tile, and strip the house down to the studs. In the process, we created a giant trash pile out on the curb. This way, the homeowners can get it ready for remodel.















Click for the full album

4 Comments:

Blogger laura jo said...

katie, that sounds amazing... wait, i'm sitting here next to you... and that wasn't jerome's house with the fridge. we've done so many, it's hard to keep up. day one - jerome; day two - finished up three jobs that other groups had started; day three - mike's mom's house (great day and refrigerator); day four (today) - mr. price's house (best day!).

this has been such a physically exhausting trip, but definitely worth it. although it seems like even after a year there's not a dent in the mass destruction and muck, i know that we have impacted the lives of six families. wow.

6:06 PM  
Blogger rambouillet said...

Wow. That's so cool! I want to take the kids in our youth group to clean up... it would be a great experiance for them.

And don't you love Gary C.!?!?!?? I think he's the best!!!!

9:39 PM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

Looks like yall had a productive trip--theres definitely plenty to be done in that region that could be an easy opportunity for mission work. Im glad to see that there are folks willing to take time and go help out.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome home Katie and Laura!!! I know those folks were immeasurably encouraged by your work.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home