Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Go Mavs!


Yeah! Thanks to my fun friend Hollee, I went to my first Mavs' game of the season tonight! Her family has season tickets about 10 rows up from the floor, so we had an awesome view! The Mavs have been doing quite well this season and the atmosphere was definitely charged with energy at the AAC.


Going into the game, I'll be honest, I wasn't even 100% sure who we were playing, and the Washington Wizards didn't ring many bells for me. But then, things change! Sure enough, a few minutes into the second period (I think) I hear "now in for the Wizards, Etan Thomas." I think, hey, I went to high school with him! And sure enough, one of the 264 graduates of the Booker T. Washington class of '96, the guy I knew as Derrick Thomas, who was great at both speech competitions and basketball (and he was Mr. Hornet for our class!), was out on the floor playing basketball! He's #36 for the wizards and you can see Dirk (#41) as well.

So after the game, which, thankfully, the Mavs won 103-97, the Wizards were into their locker room, right past our seats. Now ever since he played ball in college, Derrick has gone by his middle name, but we always called him Derrick. So as he was walking by I shout out "Hi Derrick" (I know, I'm a dork). He looks up, and gives me a big smile and says, "hey, how are you doing?" But then he's got a huge line of Wizards trailing in behind him, and so off he goes. Now I really don't think that he knew who I was, or even where he knew me from, but can't a girl hope that maybe, in some far-off, pre NBA corner of his mind, he recognized me. Or even if he didn't, he at least smiled and said hi! So that's my story for the night. It was lots of fun, and a total bonus to see a guy I went to high school with play in the NBA.

Oh, and one more thing, the people-watching at the game is almost as good as the basketball, there are lots of Dallas folks who are dressed to impress, not to mention the crazy Mavs Maniacs, and then check out this guy. Hollee thought he might be the former owner, he had courtside seats, and if you can't tell, he's wearing silver boots, a gold suit, and his grey hair is parted down the middle and worn in two side braids that stick out pippi-longstocking style. I love it!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great that you not only saw the Mavs this year but Derrick also...sorta like watching the Cowboys & seeing R W ! Booker T rocks!! Always has & always will!! Hopefully Derrick will come to the class reunion & tell you how much it meant to have you at the game :) :) My current love of college basketball is because all those good BTW players went on to star in college games & I got hooked on watching OU & OSU. Now I may have to watch the Wizards.
Love, Mom
PS Loved the gold suit/ silver boots!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so awesome Katie! I bet Derrick loved seeing a familiar face cheering him on at his away game. Sadly, we've never even gone to a Wizards game.....but I'll be on the lookout for press on him.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think he's hot for you. And he's single. I read his blog today and he talked about seeing you last night! Small world. Sounds like a great game! (Shouldn't compare to the FREE 4 HIM concert tonight- let me know if you can go!)

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Katie! I've officially read this entry now. That is very cool that you (kind of/sort of) know an NBA player! It was great to see you on Friday.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

carolyn, glad to see you made it through! =)Tell Matt we missed him!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is that Barbara Streisand sitting just behind goldy boy?

10:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Only you, Katie. I love it! So here's what I'm thinking...since you lead a much more exciting life than I do, I think you should start publishing your day-to-day activities. The first thing that comes to mind is "Coldwell Chronicles." What do you think?

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home