Reach Out And Touch Someone
On Friday, Shanta and I headed up to Denver, Co. to begin a new "dance" with the Dry Bones Ministry she summarized our experience perfectly, so I'll add a "ditto" to her remarks.
So, I'll assume you've read up on our time in Denver now and will allow me to build on her thoughts.
The Lord really touched my heart on Saturday, in several ways. First, I was touched by the passion and the heart that Matt and Nikki (as well as the other Ministry Staff) have for the street kids. I just wanted to hug and affirm them in the work that they are doing.
Next, I was touched for the street kids. I can't imagine what it's like to think that your home life is so bad that life on the streets is a better option. We stopped along the way, in the heroin tunnels and near the squats down by the Platt River to pray over these kids. They weren't there at that moment right then, but we knew they would come to these places again. These places are dark. They were dark in the sense that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. In the sense that I couldn't tell a difference between having my eyes open or having them closed. But also in the sense that the light of God was missing. I could feel the spirit of darkness in these places where drugs, rape, and fear are so prevalent. I love what John says about walking with Christ in the light. We prayed light into these dark places, and I know that God's love will continue to shine through the Dry Bones ministers.
While we were in the dark tunnel, Robbie, one of the ministers shared that the darkness we experienced wasn't just a darkness for street kids, but one felt by anyone--friends, coworkers, neighbors, family, who didn't know the Lord. This touched my heart, too. Because just as much as I feel called to support this official ministry in Denver, I need to share Christ with those here in Dallas who don't know Christ, but whom I see, love , and talk with every day. I know that each of you have daily contact with those who don't have a personal relationship with Christ, and I beg you to lift them in prayer.
We sang the song, "Had it not Been the Lord" tonight, and again, my heart was touched. The lyrics for this song come straight from Psalm 124 and I couldn't help but think about the ways God rescues us. Whether it's from the streets, or loneliness, or hunger, or riches, each of us needs rescuing, and had it not been for Jesus, we would still be struggling.
Our sermon tonight was about touch--the physical touch of Christ and it's power to heal. I hope that in some way your heart was touched by God this weekend, and that, in turn, you were able to reach out to a friend, and share the touch of God with them.
So, I'll assume you've read up on our time in Denver now and will allow me to build on her thoughts.
The Lord really touched my heart on Saturday, in several ways. First, I was touched by the passion and the heart that Matt and Nikki (as well as the other Ministry Staff) have for the street kids. I just wanted to hug and affirm them in the work that they are doing.
Next, I was touched for the street kids. I can't imagine what it's like to think that your home life is so bad that life on the streets is a better option. We stopped along the way, in the heroin tunnels and near the squats down by the Platt River to pray over these kids. They weren't there at that moment right then, but we knew they would come to these places again. These places are dark. They were dark in the sense that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. In the sense that I couldn't tell a difference between having my eyes open or having them closed. But also in the sense that the light of God was missing. I could feel the spirit of darkness in these places where drugs, rape, and fear are so prevalent. I love what John says about walking with Christ in the light. We prayed light into these dark places, and I know that God's love will continue to shine through the Dry Bones ministers.
While we were in the dark tunnel, Robbie, one of the ministers shared that the darkness we experienced wasn't just a darkness for street kids, but one felt by anyone--friends, coworkers, neighbors, family, who didn't know the Lord. This touched my heart, too. Because just as much as I feel called to support this official ministry in Denver, I need to share Christ with those here in Dallas who don't know Christ, but whom I see, love , and talk with every day. I know that each of you have daily contact with those who don't have a personal relationship with Christ, and I beg you to lift them in prayer.
We sang the song, "Had it not Been the Lord" tonight, and again, my heart was touched. The lyrics for this song come straight from Psalm 124 and I couldn't help but think about the ways God rescues us. Whether it's from the streets, or loneliness, or hunger, or riches, each of us needs rescuing, and had it not been for Jesus, we would still be struggling.
Our sermon tonight was about touch--the physical touch of Christ and it's power to heal. I hope that in some way your heart was touched by God this weekend, and that, in turn, you were able to reach out to a friend, and share the touch of God with them.

3 Comments:
Well, I said this on Shanta's blog, but want to repeat it here. Thank you for going beyond just talking about volunteering somewhere or supporting someone's work. You guys actually followed through and that is a huge example for me. Thanks for being open to the Spirit's prompting and for sharing your experience with us!
Katie, this is truly awesome. Thank you for sharing your story and your experience of reaching out to those kids in Denver. I have read a little bit about the DB ministry through your blog/links and it is truly awesome to hear how it is changing lives. I also love how you and Shanta remind us that we need to do those same things at home - even with people we see on a daily basis. Often in my "camp highs," I think too broad, when there are so many opportunities to do the same sharing and loving every day, right here at home!
Katie-
Thanks for the reminder of the need to share Jesus with people here at home and to lift them up in prayer! We have so much to be thankful for and so much to share with others. Thanks for your post. You always say something uplifting, and I appreciate that.
Post a Comment
<< Home