Pack Your Bags!
As many of you know, I love traveling. I love it because of how you change when you experience something new. I love the challenge of new letters, sounds, tastes, and smells. Mark Twain said that "travel is the enemy of prejudice," and I wholeheartedly agree.I realize I am incredibly blessed because my small 2"x4" airline ID opens the world to me for next to nothing, but travel doesn't have to be on foreign soil to be eye-opening. Just think of the differences between Alabama, Vermont, and Arizona. Or even, between South Padre, El Paso, and Longview.
I received the following text from a travel company and it reminded me of the joys of traveling. Hopefully, it will inspire you to pack your bags too.
What's in store for you in 2006? Will you venture where you have never gone before?
Will you step foot on a new continent, will you sail a new sea? Will you watch the sun rise or set in a new corner of the globe?
Will you hear a new language? Will you taste a new food? Will you encounter new customs, and will you make any of them your own?
Will you return to your ancestral home? Will you stand where Napoleon stood, or Plato, or Beethoven? Will you follow Shackleton to Antarctica, or Cook to Tahiti or Vespucci to the Amazon?
Will you push your own limits like Lindbergh, Columbus, Magellan, Peary?
Will you stand outside the Hermitage in St. Petersburg and imagine the first shot of the Bolshevik Revolution? Will you spot the minarets of the Blue Mosque as you approach Istanbul from the sea?
Will you zip-line through the jungle canopy in Costa Rica? Will you don scuba gear and drift down the wall off St. Croix?
Will you ascend the slopes of Kilimanjaro? Will you climb into a hot air balloon at dawn and drift silently over the Serengeti? Will you float by medieval castles on the Rhine River?
Where will you become a foreigner, a visitor, a guest? What will you choose to bring back from your visit? What will stay with you the longest? What will change you forever?
So, with all that said, where do you want to go in 2006? Or, where did you go this past year that changed you in some way? It could be an experience on a new continent, or just a new corner of town, but what's on your horizon?

6 Comments:
Katie- thanks for the challenge. We are planning on international trips this year to Italy this spring and India for Christmas (and I'm kidnapping you for that trip). It's also been a dream of mine to take tours through the Holy Lands and see the history of the Bible come to life. Domestically, I'd like to hit Montana, AZ, VT, and NH soon. I'll keep you posted on my progress :)
Tanzania. And you better come... you can hang out with the european backpackers you met in Thailand!
How about....
Will you win the lottery so that you can afford to go somewhere really cool?
I'm totally jealous of all of your excursions. You inspire me to go somewhere awesome! If you want to send some passes our way.. feel free!! :)
thailand, australia, and new zealand changed my life this past year. this year, we hope to go to africa, or possibly back to asia, or maybe to back to south america??? all i know is that i, like you, can't seem to get rid of the itch.
Shanta--you will totally love Italy, I totally recommend it! I'm definitely in for India, and I think we should go with prentice or dr willis for the holy lands!
Kevin--Once y'all are in Tanzania, let me know--I'll be there in a heartbeat!
Leslie--girl, it doesn't have to be a big trip, it can be an easy one! Just get Kaitlyn traveling early.
Matt--now that we're in DEN, you know we'll be traveling a lot more!
Sarah--Yeah for travel, sounds like you've got a busy plan!
This past year Cody and I went with my family to hawaii for my parents 35th anniversary. We would love to find a way to retire there. It was so peaceful. We spent almost all of out time on Kauai where there are no chains. It is totally uncommercialized. You eat at places called, Ron's burgers or Sherry's kitchen. No Starbucks of McDonalds in sight.
Anyway I really want to go to NYC. I have never been. We are starting a vacation fund.
Post a Comment
<< Home