Big Tex Has Spoken
I got the results from my Texas State Fair entries tonight. Unfortunately, this is not my year to bring home a blue ribbon. =(I am pleased to report that my scrapbook pages have been awarded an honorable mention for coming in 4th place. I think this means they will be on display at the fair, so if you stop by the creative arts building, then be on the lookout for some lovely scrapbooking!
Unfortunately, my debut into the world of banana jam was not as successful. Big Tex informed me tonight that my entry into the canning world placed 10th. I didn't even know there were nine other people in the world who had even heard of banana jam, let alone wanted to make it and enter it in the fair. Oh well. I'm at least making steps in the right direction. Maybe next year will be my turn to bring home a blue ribbon from the State Fair of Texas...

3 Comments:
I had the privilege of tasting the banana jam, and it was FIRST RATE, especially when applied liberally to a warm tortilla.
Good job Kate! I (as I'm sure you know) also grew up entering various items in the Tulsa State Fair. And I would also expect to bring home the blue so I totally feel for you. BUT the point is, you're moving up in the Texas world of fair entries!! I couldn't be more proud! :)
~Mollie
I too tried the banana jam. It was really really amazing. I couldn't get enough of it. I'm surprised you didn't get into the top 5 at least.
What obscure entry will you do next year? I looked over the Big Tex handbook, and might I suggest:
-painted egg with state fair theme
-"other item not mentioned" Folk Art category (be creative)
-try the dewberry, tomato, or starfruit jam next time
-pickled peaches
OR
-Mayhaw jelly
Better yet, if I lived in Dallas, I would somehow find a way to get on the judging team.
Post a Comment
<< Home