Thursday, June 01, 2006

Un Bee-lievable


Okay, so I got totally sucked in to the national spelling bee tonight! These kids are like 12 years old and they're spelling the wildest words ever!

escargotaire--a mound formed of snail shells
sphacelated--decay caused by gangrene
and the final winning word:
ursprache-a hypothetically reconstructed parent language

I'm super impressed because I use spell check like it's my job. Well, it kinda is my job! Thank goodness for that squiggly red line in Microsoft Word!

So, hats off to Kerry Close. And if you're feeling acute, then try your own luck in a bee!

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Good use of your words in a sentence there, Sarah!

I got out on engineer. I think it was 6th grade. Who knew that it wasn't engenier? That's the way the french would spell it at least...

11:45 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Oh - I am sooooo bad at spelling I do not even try. I just blame it not learning phonics as English was NOT my first language.

8:30 AM  
Blogger leslie said...

I was totally into watching the Spelling Bee on TV the other night. I just tried the little "bee" you had a link to. I got 2 out of 17 correct. YIKES!!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I lost out in the finals in 4th grade to the word "cherish". I cherished my time watching the spelling bee.

3:11 PM  
Blogger JG said...

In the fourth grade, I was in a spelling bee with fifth and sixth graders in front of the whole school in the auditorium. I made it pretty far, but I was out after missing 'judgment,' which I spelled as 'judgement.' Needless to say, I've spelled that word right for the rest of my life!

Jess

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home