Flower to the Power of 22, Asparagi, and Renegade Daisies
Ok, I know, the posts for this week have been all over the place. So I'll continue the theme of randomness before I get to tonight's point.
1. I was browning ground beef tonight and when I drained it into a jar it totally reminded me of the Friends episode where Rachel and Ross get in a fight then to apologize, Ross starts to drink the fat. Sick. Sweet, but sick.
2. Tonight when I was leaving work, I was behind a truck at a stoplight. The driver was digging around in the backseat looking for something, so he didn't see the light turn green. I gave him about 5 seconds, which is a really long time when you're at a stoplight. So I gave him a friendly double-honk. He looked up and we went through the intersection. It was at this point that I noticed that the advertisements on his truck were for concealed handgun training. Oopsie. Maybe not the best person to honk at in Dallas.
So on to the headline. The flora at my house is starting to bloom! The transplanted daisies seem to be doing pretty good. So far, no flowers, but the plants are doing alright. A few of them have been little renegades, and are popping up in places that I know they weren't planted, but I'm glad they're alive.
I have one cherry tomato the size of a ping pong ball that is almost ripe--hopefully I can pick it tomorrow.
I had 17 daylilies on Sunday, and 22 both today and yesterday (my mom tells me that counting flowers is a genetic trait and that my greatgrandmother would come in each morning with the "daily flower report").
My basil is flourishing. I used 8 leaves tonight in my pasta. The bell pepper seems to be doing ok--no signs of pepper yet, but so far, so good.
And, I even have two asparagi (asparagusses?) growing! Now these little asparagi are really small-please see the example to the left.-but they're up. Now what I didn't know before I was that after planting the asparagus, you can't eat it for three years! Now, contrary to example #2 above, I am a pretty patient person, but three years?! I mean I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's not that long, but I'm really like to see the harvest at least in the same year that I plant the flowers! Oh well, I'll keep you posted on the garden process.
1. I was browning ground beef tonight and when I drained it into a jar it totally reminded me of the Friends episode where Rachel and Ross get in a fight then to apologize, Ross starts to drink the fat. Sick. Sweet, but sick.
2. Tonight when I was leaving work, I was behind a truck at a stoplight. The driver was digging around in the backseat looking for something, so he didn't see the light turn green. I gave him about 5 seconds, which is a really long time when you're at a stoplight. So I gave him a friendly double-honk. He looked up and we went through the intersection. It was at this point that I noticed that the advertisements on his truck were for concealed handgun training. Oopsie. Maybe not the best person to honk at in Dallas.
So on to the headline. The flora at my house is starting to bloom! The transplanted daisies seem to be doing pretty good. So far, no flowers, but the plants are doing alright. A few of them have been little renegades, and are popping up in places that I know they weren't planted, but I'm glad they're alive.
I have one cherry tomato the size of a ping pong ball that is almost ripe--hopefully I can pick it tomorrow.
I had 17 daylilies on Sunday, and 22 both today and yesterday (my mom tells me that counting flowers is a genetic trait and that my greatgrandmother would come in each morning with the "daily flower report").My basil is flourishing. I used 8 leaves tonight in my pasta. The bell pepper seems to be doing ok--no signs of pepper yet, but so far, so good.
And, I even have two asparagi (asparagusses?) growing! Now these little asparagi are really small-please see the example to the left.-but they're up. Now what I didn't know before I was that after planting the asparagus, you can't eat it for three years! Now, contrary to example #2 above, I am a pretty patient person, but three years?! I mean I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's not that long, but I'm really like to see the harvest at least in the same year that I plant the flowers! Oh well, I'll keep you posted on the garden process.

2 Comments:
Sarah, maybe you could plant herbs out on your balcony... that would be fun!
And yes, it's definitley for reference, not so much the greenness of my thumb!
Since I'm unavailable tomorrow, I did pick the tomato this morning. I figured it could finish ripening in the house, which would keep it safe from my feathered friends like last time.
Thanks for your thoughts on gardening, world justice, and cookie dough.
For what it's worth - I vote for "asparaguses".
Post a Comment
<< Home