See Invisible Children

I've heard a lot about the movement/mission/movie Invisible Children recently. My good friend Kendra organized a screening at the SWA Headquarters last week, and I've read about it on several blogs. So today we watched this film at lunch. It's short, lasting only about 1 hour. But wow, it's powerful. From the website:
Can a Story Change the World?
In the spring of 2003, three young Americans from California left in search of such a story. What they found was a tragedy that disgusted and inspired them. Come, and discover the unseen.
Invisible Children is the story of thousands of children in Uganda who live in fear of abduction, death, starvation, and ignorance. As a result of a 17-year effort by a rebel group to overthrow the Ugandan government, thousands of children between the ages of 5 and 14 leave their homes every night to seek shelter from the rebel groups. The rebels are losing their ranks, so to power their cause they steal children from their homes at night, desensitize them to violence and murder, then give them a weapon and command them to kill. These children are well spoken, with a spark of hope, which, in itself is amazing considering the terror they're forced to live through.
As a result of the film, a movement to educate and to rescue is taking place across America, probably in a town near you. If your heart is pricked for these children from a far-off land, then do something. I'm not so naive as to think that one movie can solve the world's problems, but I'm also not so jaded as to think that we can't make a difference. If this story touches your heart, I urge you to visit the website, see the movie, and get involved.

2 Comments:
How can the world allow this to happen? This makes my heart sick. I found out that today is a National Day of Prayer. Please say a prayer for these children and their families. May God protect them.
Thanks for the tip about Rock of Cashel -- I'm looking forward to stopping there. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. We're playing it very loosely, hoping to get more authentic culture than typical tourist-stuff, though we understand that could be tough. It will all be new to me anyway...
I watched Invisible Children a couple of weeks ago. Wow. I'm glad the story is being told; hopefully that will flood the Sudan and Uganda with attention and change, as well as more and more people who love Christ.
Post a Comment
<< Home