Sunday, May 07, 2006

And They're Off!!!

This weekend, I went with six friends from work to witness "the greatest two minutes in sports." Yep, the Kentucky Derby!



It was a quick trip, we were really only gone about 36 hours, but we had a lot of fun! Tickets for the grandstand are practically impossible to get, so we joined the thousands of spectators watching the races from the infield! The 132nd Derby had attendance of more than 156,000 people, and the outfits ran the full range! From the grandstands with men in seersucker suits and ladies in fancy hats to the mullets and zany, festival-like nature of the infield, it was a big time!!

The flight to Louisville were all sold out by the time we decided to make our Run for the Roses with flights into Indianapolis. (They're only 2 hours apart) We stayed about halfway inbetween in Seymour, IN and drove to Churchill downs Saturday morning. Post time for the derby was 6:05, and we arrived around 1p. We found a good spot along the fence, just after the first turn so we could see the horses as they came thundering by!

We did try the mint julep, but I certainly wouldn't recommend them! Maybe Kentucky Bourbon is an acquired taste, but it sure did take me about an hour to finish my drink! They did serve a $1,000 version of this drink to benefit the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, which I had to pass on since my $16 in winnings wouldn't quite cover that.

I bet on one horse, English Channel, in the race before the derby, and then picked 3 horse to win, place, or show, plus a long shot to win, for the derby. My picks were mostly based on the horses' names and what the jockeys were wearing, but luckily, Barbaro (one of my picks pictured above) was among the winners! My AP Warrior, Sharp Humor, and Deputy Glitters didn't finish as strong, but that's ok.

So we had a great time at the derby! The weather was perfect, people-watching was at an all-time high, and I came home a winner! I'll post pictures soon!

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

only in horseracing are the little jockeymen given their due.. I'm glad you had fun!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so awesome- we watched the race, but had no idea you were there! I loved seeing all the wild hats women wore- one woman looked like a human peacock......

12:26 PM  
Blogger Tim Perkins said...

I've never been to a horse race. But I'm in awe of the jockeys risking their lives amongst the thundering hooves. It does sound like thunder, right?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your life is crazy.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie, I'm so glad you were able to experience some of Louisville's best! My mom would have loved to have hosted y'all - if you go back, give me a call. D and I tried to make mint juleps (although my dad swears they taste like gasoline) on Derby Day here in Dallas, yet every grocery store was out of mint! There must be some more Kentuckians living around the metroplex...

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing - you never said if YOU wore an extravagant hat? I can't wait to see pictures...

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Donny McClurg with you? We grew up together! I love the slide show of pictures. Tell Donny I said Hi - he only knows me by Lisa Dickson not Goolsby. I love reading your blog!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Amber Smith said...

You're life is awesome! You have gone more places in the last six weeks that I've gone in the last six years! Glad you had fun!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm totally fascinated by your new slideshow technique. Love the pics and I'm glad y'all had fun!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Shanty--yes, let's hear it for the little people!

Kelly-The hats really were amazing! Several were covered in roses! My hat looked tame in comparison!

Tim--yes there was thunder--it may have been the 100,000 shouting and clapping fans in the infield, but it sure sounded like thunder!

Matt--yes it is. It's good to be home for a little while...

Julia--juleps are definitely like gasoline! It may be a blessing that there was no mint around! Maybe next year we can actually fly into/spend time in Louisville. I think that could be better than our Indy 500 drive down...and I would be honored to see your folks!

Lisa--yes, that's Donny! He's working in my old dept. at SWA now. What a small world!

Amber--I may travel more, but you have way more great stories with your kids!

Kelly--go to rockyou.com. it's pretty easy.

10:34 PM  
Blogger JG said...

How cool are you? I love to live vicariously through you--keep up the cool trips!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How fun! I am glad you came out $16 ahead. I have also been known to bet on horses for their names, and one time in highschool I won enough to take my mom and dad out to eat after the festivities. Did you know that my dad used to own some race horses? He named two of them after me.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Katie,
We had a Tivo malfunction last night and only got the first hour. Who won Amazing Race?
-m

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home