Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Zinnias, Bug Spray, Strauss, and a Violin

Tonight, my friend Lisa and I went to hear the Dallas Symphony Orchestra play a free concert at the Dallas Arboretum. The flowers were beautiful, the weather was perfect, the music was lovely, and the people-watching was outstanding.
It was great to see the people of Dallas out and about for this lovely outdoor concert. I don't know if any of them technically are my neighbors, but it felt like it tonight. As a side note, sometimes I get a little sad at the anonymity of the metroplex. I like seeing people I know when I'm out and about, which is why I've been thrilled to randomly run into friends at Pokey O's and Barnes and Noble three times in the past two weeks! I like knowing my neighbors, and sometimes Dallas seems a little too big for that. But, back to the music.

I don't know if I can fully describe everything that my senses experienced. The lilting violins, the pounding timpani, the sweet piccolo, and the booming brass. The cool breeze, the warm earth, the humidity that was just high enough that I was glad I wore my hair curly. The scent of petunias drifing from the gardens clashing with the smell of hummus and cheese. The five-year old in her pink dress and sparkling tiara, the couple in their 60s to our left who held hands, cuddled like newlyweds, and shouted "Bravo" at the top of their lungs at the end of the show. The families having a picnic. The eccentric musicians and the enthusiastic conductor--man, was he all over the place! It all came together to make a lovely evening!

If you're in the metroplex, here's the community concert listing. Maybe I'll see you at the next show, neighbor.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the memories... of the arboretum tour with Nana 3 years back, of the time we took the puppies with us to the Utica Sq concert hoping to find buyers...got lots of attention and puppies were well behaved! Yes, Tulsa is a great place...glad it was featured in the Denver paper.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Becky Martin said...

I lived near the Dallas Arboretum for a summer and always wanted to go walk around in it and listen to the concerts. I never did but we have something like that in Denver near my casa and I'll try to catch a few outdoor concerts over the summer - such a fun thing to do!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Great post. I do love feeling like a neighbor sometimes.

I am so glad you went. You need to take advantage of the times like that because not every town offers neat stuff like outdoor concerts. Maybe I will come to the metroplex this summer and go to one.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home