Move Over Betty Crocker
I'm gonna show you how it's done!
As mentioned in earlier Thanksgiving posts, food is definitely a central part of the holiday season! Well, I may have set a new record today.
We celebrated christmas with Nana today, (not one of her better days) we're having Christmas lunch with Pop and Mema tomorrow, and then my cousin David and his wife are flying in tomorrow night, so we'll have the extended family celebration on Monday.
With all these celebrations, we certainly will need tasty food, and I love to bake, so today was a busy day. It started with a new brownie-cheesecake treat, which calls for, you guessed it, brownies on the bottom and cheesecake on the top. I stepped it up a notch and added some peanut butter to half of it which was stinkin' awesome!
Then, I made fudge. My sweet Nana was an expert fudge maker--it was known far and wide. I hae not yet perfected this skill--last year I made the mistake of adding too much marshmallow creme and wound up with a confection more like chocolate marshmallows, than fudge. So tonight, I was careful with my measurements, but I may have scraped the sides too much, because I think my fudge is a little grainy. Oh well.
Then, I made three apple pies. From scratch. Luckily, Gary peeled the apples, and Mom sliced them, so that was helpful.
Finally, we made forgotten cookies. But I had to make two batches--apparently it makes a difference whether you whip the egg whites and sugar together or whether you whip the whites first, and then add the sugar. If you wondering, you add the sugar after the whites are whipped.
Then we did some final chopping to get ready for tomorrow's feast. But don't think that I did all the work, Sarah washed the mixing bowl for us.
In the midst of the cooking, I did some good visiting with Camp Fire friends this morning and Matt and Nikki tonight. Well folks, I better sign off before Santa comes down the chimney! I've been a good girl this year, so I better get to sleep before he shows up with all those treats! He certainly has a wide range of choices of treats this year! Oh, and don't forget to set out the carrots for Rudolph too!
Merry Christmas everyone, hope your holiday is special wherever you are!
As mentioned in earlier Thanksgiving posts, food is definitely a central part of the holiday season! Well, I may have set a new record today.
We celebrated christmas with Nana today, (not one of her better days) we're having Christmas lunch with Pop and Mema tomorrow, and then my cousin David and his wife are flying in tomorrow night, so we'll have the extended family celebration on Monday.
With all these celebrations, we certainly will need tasty food, and I love to bake, so today was a busy day. It started with a new brownie-cheesecake treat, which calls for, you guessed it, brownies on the bottom and cheesecake on the top. I stepped it up a notch and added some peanut butter to half of it which was stinkin' awesome!
Then, I made fudge. My sweet Nana was an expert fudge maker--it was known far and wide. I hae not yet perfected this skill--last year I made the mistake of adding too much marshmallow creme and wound up with a confection more like chocolate marshmallows, than fudge. So tonight, I was careful with my measurements, but I may have scraped the sides too much, because I think my fudge is a little grainy. Oh well.
Then, I made three apple pies. From scratch. Luckily, Gary peeled the apples, and Mom sliced them, so that was helpful.
Finally, we made forgotten cookies. But I had to make two batches--apparently it makes a difference whether you whip the egg whites and sugar together or whether you whip the whites first, and then add the sugar. If you wondering, you add the sugar after the whites are whipped.
Then we did some final chopping to get ready for tomorrow's feast. But don't think that I did all the work, Sarah washed the mixing bowl for us.
In the midst of the cooking, I did some good visiting with Camp Fire friends this morning and Matt and Nikki tonight. Well folks, I better sign off before Santa comes down the chimney! I've been a good girl this year, so I better get to sleep before he shows up with all those treats! He certainly has a wide range of choices of treats this year! Oh, and don't forget to set out the carrots for Rudolph too!
Merry Christmas everyone, hope your holiday is special wherever you are!

3 Comments:
HO HO HO & Merry Christmas to you! It was the greatest gift to have daughters to come cook goodies, wrap presents, finish the house decorations & best, bring their friends over so we could all visit!! Santa made it down the chimney with fruit, candy, and presents for two good girls at our house, didn't he? Thanks, Katie and Sarah, for making it a wonderful Christmas.
Love you, Mom and Gary
PS...Baby Jesus is now in the manger, the star is hung over it, and the wise men have started their trek (across the room). All is waiting for the music to start...turn on that player piano and let the festivities roll.
You are truly dedicated, blogging on Christmas Eve! I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I read your mom's comment. What is the deal about the wise men treking across your mom's living room? That sounds like an interesting Christmas tradition.
Well, in our family, Jesus doesn't show up in the nativity scene until Christmas morning! Then the star shines above it, and the wise men start moving towards the manger bearing their gifts. Tradition says they don't get there until Jan. 6th, but our guys usually show up around New Years or so.
Post a Comment
<< Home