Why Did The Three Wise Men Wear Firemen's Helmets?
They came from AFAR!

Ok, so my wise men aren't firefighters. But we do have an interesting nativity tradition in our family. In keeping with the Christmas story, and to give us something to look forward to, baby Jesus doesn't show up in his manger until Christmas morning!
Yep, except for the sheep, the stable's just sitting there empty. Mary and Joseph are making their way to the Inn (they usually arrive on the 23rd or 24th) and the wise men are waaaay on the other side of the room, waiting to come from the east. (Please note them there under the wreath).
Seriously. That's what we did growing up, and that's what I do now. ( I just hate it when I can't remember which bookshelf baby Jesus is hiding in!) Here's a close-up of their journey from afar across the living room!

So, that's one of the fun Coldwell family Christmas traditions. What about you? Any fun/goofy/sweet traditions in your family?

Ok, so my wise men aren't firefighters. But we do have an interesting nativity tradition in our family. In keeping with the Christmas story, and to give us something to look forward to, baby Jesus doesn't show up in his manger until Christmas morning!
Yep, except for the sheep, the stable's just sitting there empty. Mary and Joseph are making their way to the Inn (they usually arrive on the 23rd or 24th) and the wise men are waaaay on the other side of the room, waiting to come from the east. (Please note them there under the wreath).Seriously. That's what we did growing up, and that's what I do now. ( I just hate it when I can't remember which bookshelf baby Jesus is hiding in!) Here's a close-up of their journey from afar across the living room!

So, that's one of the fun Coldwell family Christmas traditions. What about you? Any fun/goofy/sweet traditions in your family?

5 Comments:
Nikki grew up living in Germany, and so we've got a few traditions that she grew up with. One of my favorites is when St. Nicholaus (use your German accent) comes to visit on the evening of Dec. 5.
You leave your boots outside the front door and he comes by and fills them up. It's cool because you get to receive (and give) twice during December. This year, St. Nicholaus brought me homemade butterscotch cookies, peanut butter balls, and the new Fiona Apple CD.
St. Nikki (I mean, Nicholaus) also traditionally visits several kids that go to our church. Nikki's got all the kids leaving their boots outside on Dec. 5.
I was born on Christmas Eve in the great city of Arlington, Texas. In the hospital that night were some ladies who would sew giant stockings for the babies born on Christmas Eve and Christmas that said Christmas 1977 on them. The parents would then take the baby home in the stocking. So every year my mom continues to put up my giant stocking as a decoration and every year I try to see how well it fits me now.
Oh, my, you make me want to get the creche out of the loft even if I don't unpack any other decorations just now! I think that all started when one of you girls said that "Jesus wasn't born yet, so how could he be in the manger?" I do love our "traditions".
We always wrapped up bones for Brownie and Sasha (Pandit family pups) and let them sniff their way to the treat. It was great entertainment watching them open their gifts. And then Mom would stick a bow on their head and take lots of pictures.
Love your family's nativity scene tradition- that is fabulous! And I love how the wise men are now in the east (a.k.a. the mantle). You guys are super creative!
Post a Comment
<< Home