Monday, December 05, 2005

The Lord Must Love Laughter


Every Monday night for more than three years, I have been blessed to be part of a girls' Bible study. Although we've lost a few members over time, these girls have come to mean something incredibly special to me. I truly cherish our time together because it is one of the few times when we can all be really real. The masks come off, no one cares how they look, and we are able to truly share our hearts. Sometimes we laugh together, sometimes we cry (ok, so I took that line from a song, but it's true!). These girls have helped me through all sorts of things, and I look forward to seeing them each week.

Now granted, sometimes, we do more "fellowshipping" than Bible study, but we've tackled some tough material: Mere Christianity, Beth Moore, and even the whole New Testament, seven chapters at a time. Other times, we spend the evening praying for each other's needs. Tonight, we wrote letters to the Prestoncrest missionaries and shut-ins.

Each week, we close in prayer. Tonight's prayer, I am confident, made the Lord smile. For some reason, we got tickled while praying and erupted in laughter and giggles for at least 5 minutes. At first, we tried to stifle it, but trying to keep it in only makes it funnier, so then we just laughed. The pray-er, who will remain anonymous, said she felt badly, but I'm convinced that just like a parent likes to hear a baby laugh, the Lord loves to hear his children laugh while we're talking to him.

So, for tonight, at least, I know there was laugher in heaven, because I heard it here on Earth.

side note: I'm trying to find a larger picture of our group. This one was taken this summer at Fireside Pies, but it's coming through really small!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie - Wow, you're quick! I just know that God was laughing with us tonight!

I guess I better get to bed, but don't tell Dana that I haven't finished my "homework" yet. :)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy laughter. Reminds me of when my brother and I used to always get in trouble in church for uncontrollable, nonstoppable laughter during the most inappropriate times. I didn't really then, and I still don't regret those times.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Spruce said...

Sometimes I laugh when I'm asked to pray a prayer of blessing over a plate of food that is especially unhealthy. I just imagine God going, "You want me to bless your addiction to fat, sugar, and caffeine. Yeah, I'll get right on that."

8:20 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Spruce--I know what you mean. My granddaddy would always say "use this food to nourish our bodies, and our bodies in thy service" The Lord's got to work pretty hard to find the nourishment in my hamburger and fries!

I really believe that God likes our laughter. Think about it. I'd be sad if we had conversations and never laughed, so don't you think God wants to share our joy while we're talking to him too?

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie - I loved that post. I am so thankful that Lisa asked me to be a part of this Bible study in the Spring of '04. My life has been blessed in so many ways because of my relationship with you girls!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Amen! What a blessing laughter is! There is especially something fun about laughing with girlfriends!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home