Saturday, November 26, 2005

Take Me Back To Tulsa, 'Cause I'm Too Young to Marry


The Thanksgiving Holiday means food, friends, family, and TULSA! Sarah and I flew in Wednesday night (thank you Southwest Airlines) and the fun hasn't stopped yet!

Thursday morning, we went to visit Nana, who seemed to be doing pretty well. She was napping when we showed up to visit around 9:45 that morning, but I crawled right up next to her and we had a great time. (If anyone knows how I can post a windows media player clip, let me know and you can see the Nana live and in action!) We sang "Trust and Obey" and "Victory in Jesus" with her and we just laughed and laughed! She is still so pleasant to be around.

Then we headed over to Pop and Mema's house in Claremore. We had an AWESOME lunch! I'm still full after everything we ate: ham, turkey, cranberry, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green chile corn, green bean casserole, creamed onions, cranberry sauce, hot rolls--did I leave anything out? I don't think there's room for any more. We had a fun time cooking on Thursday morning. I wanted to make sure the potatoes were properly seasoned with just the right amount of salt (mashed variety) or brown sugar (sweet variety), while sarah and mom seemed on a campaign for blandness =). Luckily, I was able to slip a little seasoning in!

We taught Toni and Anna to play Fooey (the Coldwell version of Nerts) and then later celebrated another great Thanksgiving tradition--PIE. I like to call this picture of Sarah, the "pie-fecta" in honor of her three perfect pieces of pie. YUM!

Friday was a bittersweet day as we went over to my Grandma K's house to move out what was left of her furniture. She passed away ten years ago, and my cousin had been living in her house ever since. Now that he's married, it's time to sell. This house has been in our family since 1941 and it makes me sad to see it leave our family. It's a great old house with glass doorknobs and hardwood floors.

Saturday morning, I met my dear friends, Adrianne and Mollie for breakfast. These girls have been my precious friends for as long as I can remember! Through church camps and wohelos, I know I can count on these girls for anything. And, I love how easily we can pick right back up where we left off.

This afternoon was spent watching the OU/OSU football game, playing farkle (a great new game) and eating mexican stack up (which in our family is topped with coconut and pecans--I know, it sounds strange, but trust me on this one--the coconut is the perfect balance of sweet for the spicy).
We're home now, and Sarah's going through the many boxes of childhood treasures under her bed. We fly out early tomorrow, but the Thanksgiving visit has reminded me of how much I love our family--whether we're "discussing" cooking techniques, playing games, or just laughing, we have a super time! I am so thankful for them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

very cool weekend! I love the pie-fecta.. I think I created quad-nana-pudding-ecta.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In Boone's family, they also use coconut and pecans on stack-ups. I know what you mean about the perfect blend of sweet and spicy!

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home