Blessed Be Your Glorious Name!
Mom and cousin Steve show that bald is beautiful in our family!

Back in March, my mom, Sherry, and my step-dad, Gary, were both diagnosed with Cancer on the same day. Gary had surgery to treat his Prostate Cancer in June. Mom went through four months of treatment for Multiple Myeloma, then had a stem cell transplant in July. Now it's been 110 days since her transplant.
Earlier this week, they went back up to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for their first checkups since treatment. I am so so so happy to tell you that they are both Cancer-free! Wow. Prayer really does work. I have no doubt that the Lord heard all the prayers that were sent up on their behalf during these past eight months.
Throughout this whole experience, Mom has had an amazing attitude. I can remember her telling me at the beginning of this whole experience that the cancer didn't change her salvation--she is ready to enter those pearly gates! She also said that she could just as easily die in a car wreck on their way back from Minnesota, so why worry more about this than that? She rests comfortably in the fact that she is a child of God, and that He is in control of everything. I have a lot to learn from her example.
This encounter with Cancer in our family changed us. I called my parents more. They updated their will and insurance policies. We talked more openly about death. It became apparent to me that truly, this world is not our home. I saw firsthand the kind thoughtfulness of my friends who sent cards and letters to me and my family.
But I also think my heart changed. I had to face my fear of losing another parent. I had to trust in God even though I was afraid He would take these two precious people from this earth. I became comfortable crying during worship and prayer time--especially at Prestoncrest where I feel so safe and supported. My heart learned to talk to the Lord directly--even without words or thoughts, I know there were times when my tears told the Lord what my heart was pleading.
Throughout it all, the song "Blessed Be Your Name" was one that really touched my heart, not because I thought this was a blessing. No, I wasn't quite there. The song talks about choosing to praise the Lord in every circumstance, no matter what. Regardless of what God brought to us, I had to decide that "my heart will choose to say, Lord, blessed be your name." We sang it tonight and once again, I sang it with tears streaming down my face. But this time, the tears were ones of joy!
Thank you Lord, for your hand of healing.

Back in March, my mom, Sherry, and my step-dad, Gary, were both diagnosed with Cancer on the same day. Gary had surgery to treat his Prostate Cancer in June. Mom went through four months of treatment for Multiple Myeloma, then had a stem cell transplant in July. Now it's been 110 days since her transplant.
Earlier this week, they went back up to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for their first checkups since treatment. I am so so so happy to tell you that they are both Cancer-free! Wow. Prayer really does work. I have no doubt that the Lord heard all the prayers that were sent up on their behalf during these past eight months.
Throughout this whole experience, Mom has had an amazing attitude. I can remember her telling me at the beginning of this whole experience that the cancer didn't change her salvation--she is ready to enter those pearly gates! She also said that she could just as easily die in a car wreck on their way back from Minnesota, so why worry more about this than that? She rests comfortably in the fact that she is a child of God, and that He is in control of everything. I have a lot to learn from her example.
This encounter with Cancer in our family changed us. I called my parents more. They updated their will and insurance policies. We talked more openly about death. It became apparent to me that truly, this world is not our home. I saw firsthand the kind thoughtfulness of my friends who sent cards and letters to me and my family.
But I also think my heart changed. I had to face my fear of losing another parent. I had to trust in God even though I was afraid He would take these two precious people from this earth. I became comfortable crying during worship and prayer time--especially at Prestoncrest where I feel so safe and supported. My heart learned to talk to the Lord directly--even without words or thoughts, I know there were times when my tears told the Lord what my heart was pleading.
Throughout it all, the song "Blessed Be Your Name" was one that really touched my heart, not because I thought this was a blessing. No, I wasn't quite there. The song talks about choosing to praise the Lord in every circumstance, no matter what. Regardless of what God brought to us, I had to decide that "my heart will choose to say, Lord, blessed be your name." We sang it tonight and once again, I sang it with tears streaming down my face. But this time, the tears were ones of joy!
Thank you Lord, for your hand of healing.

11 Comments:
Whew hew! This is awesome news.
m
Praise God! Your mom is beautiful. I am so thankful that God healed them.......I am thrilled for you all!
Katie, that is awesome and powerful news to hear! Also, I love that song as well and am glad that it has brought peace to your heart. :-)
Thanks friends!
My friend Jami just sent me this awesome verse from the Lord. How perfect for today!
Many sacrifices were offered on that joyous day, for God had given the people cause for great joy. The women and children also participated in the celebration, and the joy of the people of Jerusalem could be heard far away. - Nehemiah 12:43
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I love your mom and your whole family. Praise the Lord for His faithfullness.
Wow! How great is our God! I have joy in my heart for your family... God is SO good to us.
Nice blog by the way! Will be stopping by often!
Such great news Kate...
THANK GOD! Your mom looks beautiful! I need to call my parents now and tell them how much I love them...
Praise the Lord, O my soul! Thank you for sharing this Katie! What a powerful testimony of God's faithfulness!
I am so thrilled for your good news! God is so good.
Post a Comment
<< Home