Thursday, November 10, 2005

Mr. Kelleher Goes to Washington


Y'all, get back and look to the east! Can you see the smoke coming from DC? There were some serious fireworks on Capitol Hill this morning as the Wright Amendment was finally brought into the light in front of our Representatives. At a Senate aviation subcommittee hearing today, Herb, championing for SWA and free enterprise, sat on a witness panel along with Gerard Arpey (AA CEO) and Kevin Cox (DFW Airport COO). Things got a little feisty as the political persiflage ensued. (Herb used that word today and I just thought I'd throw it in).

My favorite parts were:
*When Herb jumped up from the witness table to retrieve a 15-year old deposition he gave in 1990 while Kevin Cox was misquoting him.

*Herb telling the Senate that SWA agreed to the Wright Amendment in 1979 the same way the Germans agreed to the End of the World War "with a gun to our heads."

*Herb telling the Senate that "American Airlines wasn't exactly welcoming them to DFW with warm milk and graham crackers."

The man is brilliant, and I thank my lucky stars that I'm on his side. I would NOT want to come up against that man in a courtroom! Wow!

So, will today's hearing repeal the Wright Amendment immediately? We can only hope! Probably though, it will take a while though. For more information, on the Wright Amendment, visit www.setlovefree.com.

If you'd like to watch the two hour hearing then click here.

Get ready! The fight against Wright is on in full force!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I watched the whole hearing! It was so funny. I loved the steriod comment too.. Herb is such a showman. AA's arguments are so unbelievably weak...it's clear it should be repealed! I also liked Herb's comparison of AA's 166 gates and thousands of acres at DFW to SWA's 32 and 1300 acres.He cracks me up.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Katie! This is Kate (Barclay). I always feel the need to clarify because nobody knows me by my boring last name of Martin. Anyway, did you know that my mom works for the dark side (i.e. American Airlines)? I am not sure she feels any strong connections with the management at AA though. I have been watching up on the Wright Amendment issues though, and I agree that it should be repealed. Herb sounds like a stand-up guy!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Shanty--I'm proud of you for making it all the way through. That hearing was feisty--I loved it when he looked at his watch b/c Arpey had gone over time.

Kate--Good to hear from you! Tell your mom to see the light and join forces with us! =)

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home