Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Treat Your Customers Right

I recently read a post by my friend Carolyn about poor Customer Service at Marble Slab. Which just got me thinking. Where in the world did businesses start to think that treating people poorly or with disrespect was the way to win Customers? Why does it seem like a good idea to be rude to the very people who want to buy your product or service?? How do businesses operate like that?

So on Monday afternoon, I went out on my own Customer Service test. A couple of months ago I purchased a new bottle of perfume at Sephora. (pictured to the left)Somehow, recently, the stem that goes to the bottom of the bottle became detached from the sprayer. The result was a 3/4 full bottle of perfume that was useless. I tried to get the lid off so I could reattach the stem, but no such luck. So I head to Sephora to see what they can do for me. At Sephora, I first talked with a sales clerk who wasn't much help, but she directed me to the Manager. She took one look at my bottle, and immediately gave me a brand-new full bottle of perfume--no charge. She apologized for my trouble and that was it. I told her how much I appreciated her great Customer Service and went on about my day.

You know, that bottle of perfume costs significantly more than the Marble Slab ice cream cone, but she didn't even hesitate, and I guarantee you that next time I need perfume, I'll head straight to Sephora. She truly won a Customer and I wanted to brag on her.

So, two things. 1) What business has given you really great Customer Service lately? and 2) We all have Customers--whether it's your kids (at school or your home), your Coworkers, your family, your clients, or truly a Customer who's wanting to purchase something from your or your business. What's a way you can offer great Customer Service??

7 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I'll put in a rave for Sephora as well. Their customer service is excellent. They will take back anything, no matter if you've used it or not, without any questions asked.

Another great store for customer service is Nordstrom. Matt and I both needed new sneakers recently. We went to the New Balance store at Preston Center, and waited there for about thirty minutes with no help at all. WE finally left, went to Nordstrom and bought our New Balance sneakers there. We were both helped immediately, the associates were friendly, and Nordstrom has an awesome return policy too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming New Balance for being busy. What I do blame them for is acting so annoyed and put out that Matt and I were there in the first place. No one smiled at us, greeted us, or even apologized that we hadn't been helped for thirty minutes. We were there to spend money, which seems like it should please them, but I think they couldn't have cared less.

I think great customer service should be fairly simple, and it's sad that it seems to be rare these days. Every customer service tip I can think of seems obvious, and really comes down to one thing: caring about your customers and making it a priority that they are satisfied and want to return. Nordstrom always does that, which is why every time I shop there I wonder why I ever purchase shoes anywhere else!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post Katie. Ken and I discuss this topic almost daily. I would have to say that recently we experienced good customer service at Fernando's mexican restaurant on Midway/NW Highway. Everything was clean, the food was wonderful, and my water glass was never empty. Can't ask for much more.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I could write pages on Dutch customer service. I've now come to fully appreciate the good customer service we routinely receive and expect in the US. The occasional Marble Slab experience is disappointing but seemingly the anomaly. Though I like to claim that Europe is right up with the US in most areas, customer service is unfortunately an area that is absolutely horrible. To answer Katie's request however, I'll put a plug in for Media Markt, the electronics giant of Europe who has treated us well (however, I then must point out that it's German...)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Becky Martin said...

One of my favorite customer services inventions of the last few years is the receipts with the bar codes on them so all you have to do is hand it over and it's all they need to refund, exchange, whatever. No need for my card or to sign...I'm in and out in a jiff.

Right now I'm helping out with a leadership retreat for the young adults' group at church this weekend and there's a bit of a debate on how to spend our time so I'm mediating it - trying to keep my "customers" happy!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

United Supermarkets have the best customer service. They are so friendly, the store is clean, the employees seem to be in a good mood, and they run your cart back in from the parking lot.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The country of Mexico.
really.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Hollee said...

Katie...
I'm glad to hear about your Sephora experience. Ulta (are they a competitor to Sephora?) has horrible Customer Service and an even worse return policy. One time I wrote in to the them to communicate my fustrations...and the response was less than I'd hoped. Just thought I would pass along.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home