Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Crash: Moving at the speed of life, we are bound to collide with each other

A Brentwood housewife and her D.A. husband. A Persian store owner. Two police detectives who are also lovers. An African-American television director and his wife. A Mexican locksmith. Two car-jackers. A rookie cop. A middle-aged Korean couple. They all live in Los Angeles. And during the next 36 hours, they will all collide.

This was the only one of the five best picture nominees that I saw, so I can't really say whether or not it should have won the Oscar since I have nothing to compare it to. What I do know is that Crash is intense, dramatic, tense, disturbing, lingering, and offensive. And it's worth seeing.

It makes you think about the prejudices you have--and we all have them. It made me think about the people that I sometimes brush against, but don't really interact with--and those that I can't ignore, though I might try to.

Here's the website for Crash. It shows the trailer, and some clips. Now, you should know, this is not a family movie. It's filled with foul language and violence. But it creates an interesting picture of our culture in America.

If you've seen it, I'd love to hear your thoughts...

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I too haven't seen the others, but Crash was my favorite movie of last year. Clearly unrealistic with the interwoven plot, it does however make a powerful statement about how we all view each other and interact. I recommend it!

1:17 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I loved Crash. Both Cody and I thought it ws the most creative and thought provoking movie we had seen in awhile. I was glad it won.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

After reading both Carolyn's blog and your blog, I rented Crash tonight. With both of your perspectives, I am so excited to watch it! It was good seeing you last Saturday!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I interact with people of different races everday. I married into a family of a different race as well. Everyday, I am one of the few white people in the room. I wanted to see Crash to see if I have any of these prejudices hidden in the depths of my soul, or do I really look into the hearts of all first. I was surprised to find that I have many of the same thoughts and actions. America is so special because we include so many cultures. I pray that one day, everyone understands each other better. I think Crash brings us closer to that point.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home