Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, How Does Your Garden Grow?
So, it was almost 90 degrees today
and I just had to be outside! I had some things to return at Lowes, and next thing I knew I was walking out with $40 worth of plants...I'm a little worried that we could still have one more big freeze, but I just wasn't patient. So, this afternoon, I planted two tomato plants--one cherry and one grape, one basil plant, and six asparagus roots. I've never tried to grow asparagus, but I thought it was worth a try.Last year I had success with my cherry tomato plant, but unfortunately between my two regular tomato plants I grew one, yes, one tomato to ripeness. I'd go out every morning, water the plants, give the tomato some encouragement and hope to see it turn to a nice rosy hue. Then, sure enough, the day I deemed the tomato ready to move from the vine to the salad bowl, the birds agreed. When I came home from work, my little tomato was gone! I'm determined to beat the birdies this year!
I'm definitely getting an earlier start this year and I may add a bell pepper in the mix too! So if all goes well, I'll be able to cook up a nice tomato basil salad along with a tasty spaghetti sauce later this summer.
In addition to the vegetables, I planted two calla lilies and a pink hydrangea. My green thumb is a little faded sometimes, so hopefully all will grow well.
Hope y'all are enjoying nice weather wherever you are! Oh, and if you have any gardening tips...I'm all ears!

4 Comments:
Good morning, Miss Gardener, To thwart the birds getting your tomatoes, you may need to cover the plants with netting. Sometimes hanging an alumnum pie pan will do the trick also. Peppers are easy to grow so try a couple. I think you have some plant food for roses, it might work on the veggies, too. If you spot aphids on the roses, try a soap & water spray. (dish soap is fine).
What color and where are the calla lillies & hydranga?
Spring brings out the garden fever, doesn't it!
good title. excellent decision. save the other one for the harvest! :)
I am planting tomato plants as well. I decided on the "beef master" species and was told to get a root stimulator and only water once a week. I cant decide which is better, potted or grounded.
Thanks for the tips! I added some potting soil and fertilizer to the dirt when I was planting them, so hopefully they'll make it!
Mom- there's one pink and one purple lilly, and the hydrangea is pink--at least for now. I'll be interested to see if it changes color with the soil content.
Larua--hopefully we'll have a bountiful harvest! I'll keep you posted!
Clay--good luck with the beefmasters! I've got some basil to go along with your tomatoes if you need it!
Post a Comment
<< Home