Happy Pi Day!

Warning: Very Nerdy Posting to follow...
No, today's not an excuse to eat a nice piece of pie, though I do love pie... Today's March 14; numerically, it's 3/14. A day to celebrate Pi. You know, Pi--3.14159..... Just think, how would you have made it through geometry without that special little symbol allowing you to calculate fun things like the circumference or the area of a circle???
You still need Pi today though. If you listen to the radio or ride on an airplane, you're using Pi. It shows up in radio signals, probability, and global positioning--since the earth is one big circle, we've got to calculate it somehow.
Now, I know I'm not the only one who takes a little delight in this day. If you search for Pi on yahoo, you get all sorts of great links. Like The Einstein Rap, or the book, The Joy of Pi. But then, you also get something like this, too, which I have NO idea what it means...but if you check out his other links, he made Pi poems, and Pi songs too. But by far, this was my favorite link of all the Pi info out there...It's song lyrics about the Pi to the tune of "The Rainbow Connection" and it made me laugh out loud!
In addition to being Pi day, it's also Albert Einstein's birthday (along with my friends Jami and Donny)! So go out there and enjoy the fact that by using Pi, you can calculate the area of your pie. Sounds like a reason to celebrate to me!

4 Comments:
Love it! It's always good to be reminded of good old Pi......I hadn't thought about that in FOREVER- probably since the days of SAT's.
AWESOME. I can't stop giggling thinking about the recent conversation we shared about Pi. Happy Pi Day, indeed!
You do make some mean pie. And I can't believe you made PI sound fun. I'm telling you, you should be a math teacher.
I learn something new every day, ahh Pi! In sad educational news - my little sister is in a high school geometry class and all they teach her is how to use the graphing calculator, nothing about math! She knows how to plug numbers and equations into the calculator but has no idea what they mean or what it's about...so sad! I may have to teach her about Pi in honor of today!
Post a Comment
<< Home