Everything's Up to Date in Kansas City
Well, the fight against the Wright Amendment scored a small victory today! As of about 4:30 today, it is now legal to fly between Dallas Love Field and airports in Missouri.Kit Bond, Missouri Senator and Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on Transportation tacked on language to the 2006 DOT Budget Bill which would permit flights to Missouri. Thanks Kit! One state down, only 41 to go! Although we are still pressing for the complete and total repeal of the Wright Amendment, the addition of nonstop flights from DAL to Kansas City and Saint Louis will serve as a laboratory for complete repeal. This new permission gives Southwest the chance to prove that the "Southwest Effect" is alive and well.
Hopefully, as fares drop and the number of passengers flying on these markets increases, other states will long for lower fares and call for repeal as well.
Hopefully, this will serve as a wake-up call to our Texas Senators that free enterprise is good for the people of Texas.
Hopefully, the day will come soon when Southwest will be able to announce nonstop flights to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago, Baltimore, or Seattle!
Until then though, we'll continue to offer our low fares to all of our markets that we're legally allowed to. (and may I point out, that even at the hint of this new provision to allow DAL-Missouri flights, American quietly dropped their fares from DFW to Missouri back in October. But I'm sure that was purely coincidental... )
Looks like everything's up to date in Kansas City, they've gone about as far as they can go (finally to Dallas!)
p.s. bonus points go to the first person who can identify what movie that comes from.

5 Comments:
O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A
(what did I win? don't ask me why I knew that - if that is indeed correct. ???)
Get SWA up here to Denver ASAP (especially DFW to DEN.
Good job Matteo! You win the prize of musical knowledge!
Hey, we're working as fast as we can! Have you written your CO Senator to ask for your DAL-DEN nonstops? Tell them to get on it!
WHAT?!?!?!?! How in the world did Matt know that? I will just assume he cheated because I would hate to think that he's been at home watching musicals in his down time.
I'm totally on board with Matt's vote for Southwest to fly here. I know they'll start in January but it's not to Texas which is where I want them to fly. I'll just keep waiting!
Becky, don't just wait for it, do something! Now is the perfect time to write your Senator and tell them to change the law! Go to www.setlovefree.com and it will give you the information about how to write your representatives. You know if it were legal for us to fly Dallas-Denver, we'd be all over that! =)
Yes people, I drink the koolaid on this topic. But come on, it's ridiculous!
Post a Comment
<< Home