Sunday, October 16, 2005

A True Homecoming

This weekend was ACU's Centennial Homecoming and the 5-year reunion for the class of 2000. What a blessing it was to go back to Abilene and see old friends!

Getting out of Dallas was tricky (Friday afternoon traffic always is). But once we made it to I-20 we were good to go, and apparently, we were not the only ones going to A-town from the Metroplex. Looking in my rearview mirror, was like the ending scene from Field of Dreams--the headlights from all the cars created an unending ribbon of light as we all traveled west. Now, I know that maybe there were cars along 20 that were not headed to ACU, but I loved thinking that our fellow travelers were also making the westward pilgrimage to the "City on a Hill."

When Sarah and I arrived in Abilene, we stopped by her parents' house, dropped off our stuff (we had a lot of stuff), and then met up with friends from the class of 2000 outside of Taco Bueno on Judge Ely. I love that that's where the action happens--standing outside of a mexican fast food restaurant at 11:00 on a Friday night. Strangely enough, this may have been my favorite time of the weekend. I met new spouses, new children, and renewed friendships. Walking into that patio, I was surrounded by hugs! It truly was a homecoming at that moment.

One special conversation I had was with my sweet friend Kimberly. Although she lives less than 20 minutes from me, I had not seen her since the last time I was in Abilene (two years ago, I think). Most of the conversations I had over the weekend were pretty basic. But somehow Kimberly cut through the basic "Where are you? Where do you work? What are you doing these days?" and she went straight to "How are your spirits?" This question brought tears to my eyes. Not because my spirits were down--no just the opposite.

This has not been the easiest year for our family, but God has been amazingly faithful to heal mom and Gary of their cancers. I am so thankful for His power, which I see every day as she continues to heal. Two things touched my heart about Kimberly's question. One, since we hadn't talked in so long, I knew someone else had told her about my family. Whether it was a friend from school, or at her church, I'm not sure, but I was touched to know she had been thinking about us. Two, she wasn't afraid to go deep. Instead of just skimming the surface, she truly wanted to know how I was doing.

Although this encounter was brief, for me it embodied the things I love about the church, ACU, and my friends. I love the connectedness in knowing that people I haven't talked to in a couple of years have been praying for me. I love that even after a time apart, that friendships can exist on a deep level. I love the spirit of faithfulness. These things happen not because of the school or the club that we claim, but because of a bond we share in Christ.

Whew, and that was just Friday!

Saturday started bright and early with the GATA breakfast--good times with my pledge sisters at 6:30 a.m.! Then off to the parade. It was so fun to hear Amy give Mark the tour of campus. How do you explain ACU and all those memories to someone who hasn't experienced it? I guess you can't, but it's worth a try! Then chapel and the centennial celebration. Chapel ended with a bang as they fired off confetti cannons and had a balloon drop. Shanta and I stopped by the COBA reception for just a bit, and then it was off to lunch at Gatti's.

Due to an early breakfast, I skipped the football game in exchange for a nap! Then Saturday night was the reunion dinner at the T&P. Thanks, Booker, for emceeing the event!

In short, the Saturday was a blessed time of seeing friends and strengthening relationships--all while changing clothes three times to try and keep up with Abilene weather and Homecoming events!

Sunday, Sarah & I went to church at Highland where I was encouraged by Mike's sermon to step out and be bold in my faith. We are so blessed to have religious freedom here in America.

Then, on our way out of town, Shanta, Ken, Sarah, and I stopped to see Phyllis Trevathan. This is the one-year anniversary of Charles' death, and this precious woman misses him terribly. She showed us his yearbook pictures, and told stories of their romance. Before we knew it, an hour had passed and we were flooded with her tender memories. She loves to talk about Charles, and if any of you reading have memories of Chuck T., I encourage you to call or write Phyllis with them. As she mourns the loss of the love of her life, she is so blessed by the stories others share with her about him.

So, whether you were able to join us this weekend in Abilene or not, my prayer for you tonight comes from the Old Testament and from the closing of chapel. "The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make His face to shine upon you. And give you peace."

See the rest of my pictures click here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for that awesome recap! I truly felt like I was there.....I am soooo happy it was such a great reunion weekend. My mouth watered at the thought of Bueno and Gatti's.......have a great week back at SWA!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for checking in on Phyllis and posting about her. I need to take a weekend and head back just to spend some time with her. Watching the video in Chapel got me a little teary-eyed. When they showed the footage of Dr. Willis he was teaching in Charles' classroom in the Ad building--man, that was tough. I love Dr. Willis but I sure wish that had been video of Charles! I sure miss him!

1:53 PM  
Blogger leslie said...

So good to see you Katie! You look wonderful!
I'm glad ya'll made it back to the Metroplex safely!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Awesome post. It was really good to see you this weekend. You look great. It was so good to see everyone.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Wish we could have been there!!!

We are COMPLETELY out of the loop in rural Tennessee, so I didn't know about your mom and Gary, but I praise God for the healing he has provided. And I praise God that this blessing has overflowed into the life of Phyllis.

Your post made me miss ACU. It made me miss my friends even more.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home