Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Gearing up for The Vegas

I am so excited! Tomorrow I'm going to Vegas! But the excitement isn't about vegas itself--I've already been twice this year (most recently in July when it was 117 F outside!!!). I'm fired up because my sister is coming along and it's her first trip. Vegas really is like disneyworld for grown-ups. Think about it--everything is themed--instead of tomorrowland, you have the Venetian, or Paris, or Egypt, or new York city--all in one place. Yes, it's overdone. Yes, it's too much. But, it sure is amazing for about 72 hours!

Ashley and Shanta are going to join us on Friday and we're going to see "O" which is the cirque de soleil show at the Bellagio. The stage moves up and down over a 1.5 million gallon pool of water. So not only is it a crazy gymnastic ballet, but it's swimming too! Absolutely amazing! And here's a little fact for you. After seeing it, you may think it's called O because all you can say is "Oh my goodness, how did they do that!?" But really it's called O because the french word for water is eau. Pronounced "o" but I guess they figured that we Americans would butcher the french language, so they made it nice and simple.

The last time I was in Vegas, I really liked playing the quarter roulette table. Yes, I know my odds are bad, but hey, I played for two hours and walked away with an extra $10 in my pocket. I plan on playing a little roulette for fun--especially since I've got lucky number 28 on my side this trip (I'll be 28 on the 28th, so I'm feelin' lucky there!) But I always have a little jealousy for the people who are playing craps. It looks like such a fun community game. Everyone is always cheering for the roller--it's like they're all on the same team. So this week, my friends at SWA stepped up to the plate and we've played craps at lunch. Before I get anyone fired, please note that no actual money changed hands!!! We're only talking chips here people!

So Matt and Rekka set up the craps table (with the kleenex tissue boxes, masking tape, and detailed drawing on the dry erase board) in the conference room and we had a lesson. Let me just say, that craps is as hard as it looks! Seriously, there is a lot of math involved. You've got to know what the odds are of hitting that number, and what your payout will be based on so you know whether to bet in groups of five, or odd numbers, or six, or what. My brain needs to rest! But I've got my cheat sheet, so I guess I'm ready! Yesterday, I came out $39 ahead of where I started and today I was $11 behind, so in all, I came out $28 ahead (note the special number) for my two-day lesson.

I've gotta go pack now--not sure if I'll be able to blog too much about the trip once we return--what happens in vegas stays in vegas you know...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I saw O a couple of years ago with my good friend Tiffany at the Bellagio. We were captivated for the whole show. It was awesome. At the end we were leaving and Tiffany said, "That was so incredible, I wonder what it was about". If you figure it out, let me know

8:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's called Craps because you either lose all your money and go, "CRAP!" or you win a bunch and there's a party in your pants.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Becky Martin said...

How great is it that you get to do all the fun traveling! I just heard that Southwest will be coming to DIA here in Denver next year...I am soooooo happy for that!

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home