Dessert with Robert Mondavi and other Napa Highlights

My first Christmas at SWA, I asked my mom for a really good suitcase. One with a long handle (so I wouldn't have to stoop over) and one that would "take a licking and keep on ticking" so to speak. Well, thank goodness I did, because my suitcase has been all over the place these past few weeks. From Abilene, to Vegas, to Napa, and on to Denver--I am hitting the road (or the tarmac in most cases) like it's my job!
On Sunday, Britney, Sarah, and I took off for a fun roommate trip to Yountville, CA--the heart of Napa Valley. I received a free hotel stay at the Vintage Inn last year, and so we decided to escape for a little roommate R&R. The hotel was DARLING! Chocolates on our pillows, complimentary breakfast with fruit, eggs, cheeses, and champagne, it was too cute! Seeing as how I'm single, I don't know much about romantic getaways, but for you married folk reading out there, I would guess that this would rate high on the list. If you need a second honeymoon, check out the Vintage!We rented a convertible for our drive through the wine country and took a slight detour through San Francisco on Sunday. We hit the high points: Lombard street, fisherman's wharf, chinatown, and the Golden Gate bridge--especially fun with the top down!
On Monday, we started the day with one-hour massages. I could have stayed there all day--but on to the vineyards. We began with the Mondavi Vineyard where we went on a complete tour. We walked through the vineyards, tasted the grapes, saw the giant casks where the grapes are pressed, and the french oak barrels where the wine becomes wine. It was too cool! Then on to the tasting room. We had a blast and Sarah and Brit even found a wine they liked--the Moscato d'Oro dessert wine. "Nectar of the gods" as Noel our tour guide would say. 
Then we moved to a smaller winery, the Niebaum-Coppola vineyard. Coppola, as in Francis Ford and Sophia. At their vineyard, you can see not only grapes, but the desk from the Godfather, movie props from Dracula, and even some of Francis's Oscars! They have a new wine out named for Sophia that comes in a little pink can. I know, you may be thinking, "wine in a can? That's tacky." But I tell you, it is darling!

We drove up to the Culinary Institute of America and walked around, then back to Yountville where we had a mediocre mexican dinner at Compadre's. Our waitress did recommend the cheesecake at Hurley's--the fancy restaurant across the street. So off we went. We did not order cheesecake, as it was made from goat cheese, but instead opted for the Strawberry Shortcake and Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches ( Brit and Sarah).
While there, this eccentric older couple walked in with their little white dog. I thought "who lets them bring a dog into the restaurant like this?" Only then did I hear the hostess, waiter, manager, busboy and entire waitstaff start asking "Is this table to your liking Mr. Mondavi?" Wait. What? As in the winemaker we just learned about??? yep. less than 5 feet away sat the Mondavi's--having a lovely halloween celebration with their little doggie. He was quiet, she was chatty; together they were darling--talking about the fish stew and whether the bottle of wine they ordered (made by a neighbor, not one of their own) was a "true burgundy." On our way out we complimented their vineyards--too fun!
Tuesday, we enjoyed one last tasty breakfast and hit the road back to OAK to catch our flights. But first, we drove by the UC Berkeley campus and grabbed some In 'N Out. YUM!

7 Comments:
I am sooooooo jealous! I was in Napa in June and fell in love with that place....I could move there tomorrow, not to mention my love for their vino! I am thrilled you guys got to get away- doesn't San Fran feel almost like a different country? It seems WORLDS away from the east coast- everyone is just more relaxed, healthy, and happy there.........must be the good weather and good wine.
Great pictures Katie. I am inspired and refreshed just looking at them. I especially like the one of you in the vineyard. I think that would make a great Christmas card!(or e-harmony profile if you'll let me!)Hee hee....
But seriously, it looks like a fantastic trip..only to be topped by our upcoming adventures in Denver. I can't promise a massage, but I did notice that Matt has a hot tub!!!
How much fun! I am so jealous of all of your travelings! Someday...
what???
you are reliving my world... first Vegas, then the bay area...
perhaps SWA would let you fly to MWZ... though you would have to use BA and TC to get there...
Kelly-didn't you love it??? I could totally stay in northern cali for a while!
SP- I mean SM-I'm planning on relaxing in DEN too!
Leslie-you and James should plan a getaway to Napa, you would LOVE it!
Kevin--I'm all about visiting you in Tanzania! How close will you be to an airport--I may have to hop around, but I would LOVE to come visit y'all once you're there! I was excited to hear about your supporting church. WOW, the Lord is faithful!
I love your life! You should write a book about it--I'd read it for sure...then I'd take advantage of being your friend when Oprah invites you to talk about it on her show!
You are such the traveler...I love reading about all your adventures! I need to get a job with Southwest when they open here in Denver so I can be a jetsetter like you (who knows, by the time they move here I may still be looking for a job)!
Post a Comment
<< Home