Dry Bones Weekend

This past weekend I went up to Denver with some folks from Prestoncrest. Our church, and my singles class, have been faithful supporters of Dry Bones for several years now. And while Matt and Nikki have been able to share the Dry Bones story, I think there's something to be said for experiencing a city and an environment for yourself.
So, last Thursday, five of us flew from Dallas up to DEN for a short weekend. We went straight to Bowl-ero Lanes for an hour of bowling and then went downtown for the meal. I'll be honest, it wasn't my best bowling game. In fact, when we finished, my score was 8. Yes, 8. To my credit, I'd only bowled 3 frames and I had a spare on the last one, but still, a single-digit score is not my idea of a good game. The neat thing though was that EVERYONE on our lane was so encouraging. No matter if someone bowled a strike (JW) or a gutter ball (me) we'd give high-fives all around. It was one of the most loving bowling environments I'd seen. I think the first time you walk into a bowling alley full of street kids, appearances may catch you off guard--but that's what I love so much about Dry Bones--it compels you to look past surface appearances and worldly judgement, and see each person as God would.
We went downtown where talented DB volunteers served brisket and fruit. During the meal, it started to rain, and that cold, wet rain served as a reminder that not every person has a place to keep warm and dry.
The next morning, we went on a turf tour downtown, where we learned more about life on the streets. Then we headed to the mountains. For the next couple days, Matt, Nikki, and Robbie shared more about Dry Bones' mission to Reach, Reconcile, Reclaim, and Rescue.

It was a great weekend--we made new friends, did some hiking, and enjoyed the mountains and the snow--but above all, it gave us a glimpse into the heart of Dry Bones.

If you'd like to support Dry Bones, you can donate online--and if you're in Dallas this weekend, you're welcome to come over to my house on Friday night for our annual fundraising dinner. Send me an e-mail and I'll share details!
Labels: Dallas, Dry Bones, Prestoncrest

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home