Monday, February 05, 2007

The Change

I've come to a major understanding about myself. I've changed.

So for as long as I can remember, I've been a faithful Gap consumer. It would not be unusual for me to wear four or five articles of clothing from the Gap in a day. Jeans, shirt, jacket, socks, belt--I was a Gap girl through and through. But when I go into a Gap these days, I am acutely aware of the fact that I am not their target demographic. We have casual dress at work; I can wear what I want, but I don't want to look like some kind of thug in a hoodie and tattered clothes. (Nothing against thugs here, it's just not my look.)


So on Saturday afternoon after the PC Ladies retreat, a group of us went to see a movie. Well, that movie cost me $100+ because instead of going to a stand-alone theater, we went to the Valley View mall--where the Ann Taylor Loft was having a MAJOR sale. There were several of us shopping--it is better with a buddy, after all. So we shopped 'til time for the show, then came back and shopped some more. It was at this point that I realized that I was leaving the Gap and on to the Loft. I've switched over.
Now, I'm not saying that I'll relenquish all ties to the Gap. I've never found a pair of jeans that I like better than their long and lean jeans. So, I truly hope that they get out of whatever kind of funk they're in (a recent article in USA Today says it's a financial one) and start making great clothes again. But for now, I've changed.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Gap definitely has some issues these days with their women's clothes. I can still find a few things for Boone there and a whole lot of items for Jackson, but the women's department is lacking big time! I LOVE Ann Taylor Loft! It is definitely my favorite store for myself!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Miranda said...

Ann Taylor Loft is one of my favorites as well; they have petites which is nice for us hobbits. I agree...shopping IS always better with a buddy! Hehe.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

See, I thought it was the Gap that had changed and not me! Matt and I have had the same conversation...we used to be "Gap people" but now we can't find anything in there anymore. It all looks so trendy, and I don't think I've ever dressed trendy, so I'm sticking with my story that it's the Gap that's changed, and we've stayed the same. :-) By the way, I love the Long and Lean jeans too.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks that the Gap has swung a little too far on the casual pendulum. Come on now! I hope they come back to their senses soon!

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I completely agree. I'm sitting here in my Long & Leans and dreaming of the day that I can wear GAP shirts again. I think they've confused their women's and Kid's sections... Anyway, we actually have an AT Loft now so I'm headed there next! I think I've been missing out!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

I agree. But I'm not quite to the Ann Taylor stage yet. I've moved between J Crew & Banana

11:33 AM  
Blogger Hollee said...

Believe it or not...I've recently found some really cute clothes at Target and Kohls...they both fit the SWA budget. :D

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home