Thursday, January 11, 2007

Saying Goodbye to My Sweet Nana

This weekend, my family will all fly in from across the country to meet in a small town in the panhandle of Texas to say a tender goodbye to my sweet Nana, Bessie Patterson. After 96 years on this earth, she died peacefully in her sleep on Christmas morning. I can think of nothing she would have liked more than to pass from this life on a day when the world looked to Jesus. After all, He was her focus in her life, why not also in her death?

She leaves behind an amazing legacy, and I was unbelievably blessed to have grown up with her living in a house just across the street from us. This gave us many opportunities to spend time with her and grandaddy and to create wonderful memories.

I remember sitting next to her at church, and hearing her voice confidently sing praises to the Lord.

I remember one winter, I wanted to create a garden of flowers at her house, so she gave me a notepad, a box of crayons and a roll of tape. I'd draw a different color on each paper, then she taped them up on every bookcase in her foyer. They stayed up for months, and I'm sure by the end, she was ready to have her house back, but she never let me know it.

I remember her butternut cake which she had made so many times that she could whip it up from memory. This baffled me because in my expert 5-year old opinion "when you cook, you're 'posed to read!" Who knew you could make a cake without a recipe?

I remember her carefully putting on her "earbobs" that would match whatever outfit she had picked out for the day.

There are so many more memories I could share, and I look forward to swapping stories with my aunts and cousins to relive the memories they share of Nana too.

She spent an amazing 96 years on this earth; and even though her mind and body had deteriorated in these last few years, she still kept her tender spirit and sparkling smile alive. Mom, Sarah, and I went to see her two days before she died, and even if she didn't fully comprehend who we were, she was able to smile and tell us that she loved us.

A friend shared this verse with me and I am confident that something very similar could have been overheard in heaven amid the celebration on Christmas morning: "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'" Thank you, Nana, for being faithful with your family, your faith, and your writing. I know you are sharing in the Lord's happiness right now!


So I'll end here Nana, the way you would always sign my birthday cards...

...with love and admiration.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Katie, that was a great tribute. Nana was always so proud of you and Sarah, and made the rest of us feel like part of the family. We are all thinking of you.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Katie.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was a wonderful woman. So many memories! My heart is joyful that she is with her Lord! Love you Kate.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home