The Battle of the Bands
The State Fair of Texas is home to wonderful things such as fried twinkies, fletcher's corney dogs, carnies, great people watching (especially for mullets), sketchy rides, and two big football games. Texas/OU (or OU/Texas depending on which side of the Red River you live on) will be played for the 100th time next weekend. But this weekend, the first weekend of the fair, welcomes another crowd to Fair Park. This time, it's not about the numbers in lights at the end of four quarters, it's about who can put on the most high-steppin', gyratin', body-shakin', halftime show of the year. Grambling vs. Prairie View A&M.

Going to this game takes me back to high school. Back to the reign of "the baddest band in the land." Now, don't get the wrong idea here, I wasn't in the band in high school. No, I lacked the rhythm needed to play and to move like the "T-Connection." I just loved my time at Booker T.
The show tonight was exciting as always! By far though, my favorite moment happened when PV introduced their dance ensemble, the "black foxes" dancing to Britney Spears' "Toxic." Let's just say this song selection was not well received by those around us in the crowd. The woman next to Rekka kept saying to her cousin, who was loudly protesting the song that it was all about "diversity, diversity" while throwing a glance or two in our direction. You see, Rekka, Hollee and I were most definitely the minority at this event. But it was great! For a few hours tonight, we were out of our element, and the guests of a great event. We, along with 80% of the stands left after halftime. I'm sure that Grambling won the game, they always do, but Prairie View definitely put on the best show--perfecting the "bobble-head" move before leaving the field. Two of their drummers even did headstands--while still playing their drums! I love it!
Oh, and by far the best parking bargain in town is on the grounds of Martin High School on Martin Luther King Boulevard. Their sign read "Fair Parking $5. Free Chicken" So sad that we didn't get to try it, I'm sure it would have been tasty!

2 Comments:
I love it. Wish I could have been there. I do remember a fiesty time with you at Booker T's Homecoming highlighting their drum line. It would only confuse most white people. But, as I've been donned an "oreo" by the file clerks at work(which I think is supposed to reversed, but whatever)I would have appreciated the "foxy" dancers. I'm glad you had a great time.
Great review! The bobble head was one great move.
Post a Comment
<< Home